Tiryaka Tadasana is a dynamic standing yoga pose. Moreover, it is a part of Shanka Prakshalana, the yogic intestine washing. Also, it is an important variant of Tāḍāsana. Sometimes, it gets the name Parshvasana (Side Stretch Pose). In some circles, it is called Indudalasana.
Tiryaka Tadasana Information
|Pose Name||Tiryaka Tadasana|
|Sanskrit Name||तिर्यक ताड़ासन|
|English Name||Swaying Palm Tree Pose|
|Origin||Traditional Yoga Pose|
|Type||Dynamic Standing Yoga Pose|
Tiryaka Tadasana Meaning
The Sanskrit word तिर्यक (Tiryaka) means oblique and ताड़ासन (tāḍāsana) means mountain pose. Hence we may call it Oblique Mountain Pose. Bihar School of Yoga calls it Swaying Palm Tree Pose.
Tiryaka Tadasana Procedure
Precautions and Contraindications
Pregnant ladies should avoid this pose. Otherwise, no issue in its practice, since it is simple and easy to perform.
Tiryaka Tadasana Steps
Assume a standing position with the feet two feet apart. Raise the hands horizontally and interlock the fingers. Then, turn the palms outward and raise the arms over the head. While doing so, exhale slowly. Now, the body and hands are in one line with palms facing upward. Keep this position for a few seconds.
Then, exhale and bend to the left from the waist. Hold the breath and the position. After a few seconds, slowly inhale and come back to the upright position. Now hold the position for a few seconds. During this position, retain the breath.
Similarly, repeat the process on the right side and come back to the upright position. This constitutes one round.
Likewise, perform five to ten rounds.
Follow Up Poses
For follow up poses and pose sequence, refer to Shankaprakshalana Kriya.
Tiryaka Tadasana Benefits
The benefits of Tiryak Tadasana are as follows.
- It massages and loosens the sides of the waist. Additionally, it improves the flexibility of the shoulder, spine, and waist region. Moreover, it helps to remove the fat around the waist.
- Also, it balances the right and the left postural muscles.
- As a part of Shanka Prakshalana, it washes the intestines and helps to attain all the benefits of water-based yogic cleansing techniques.
- Being a dynamic yoga sequence, it helps to burn extra calories. This will be helpful in health conditions like diabetes, obesity, hypertension, etc.
- Also, all the benefits of Tadasana (simple version) are ensured.