Vastra Dhauti Kriya is purifying the upper digestive tract with the help of a piece of cloth. According to Gheranda Samhita, Dhauti is four-fold namely Antar Dhauti (internal purification), Danta Dhauti (purification of teeth), Hrid Dhauti (purification of heart region or upper digestive tract), and Mulasodhana (purification of the rectum). Again, Hrid Dhauti is three-fold, namely purification utilizing a stalk (Dhanda Dhauti), vomiting (Vamana Dhauti), and a piece of cloth (Vastra Dhauti).
This article describes the last one, the purification using a piece of cloth.
Vastra Dhauti Meaning
Vastra in Sanskrit means a piece of cloth. Dhauti means purification of the digestive tract. Hence, it literally means cloth cleansing. It is the purification of the alimentary tract or gastrointestinal tract with the help of a piece of cloth. Moreover, it is one of the most widely used practices today. If you have learned the steps from a Yoga Guru, you can simply purchase online a piece of cloth specially made for this purpose and start practicing.
Vastra Dhauti Procedure
Vastra Dhauti Precautions
You should not start this practice by simply knowing the steps here or elsewhere online. First, you have to learn this from an expert.
Moreover, you should practice only on the empty stomach preferably in the morning.
You should not speak while practicing.
Persons having health conditions such as high blood pressure, cardiac issues, stroke, and throat infection should avoid this practice. Also, you should not practice it during general illnesses. If you have undergone surgery, you should avoid it at least for three months.
If you take necessary precautions like these, Vastra Dhauti is not dangerous.
Vastra Dhauti Cloth
The cloth must be clean and sterilized. Also, it should be moist while practicing. The size of the cloth should be at least 2 centimeters wide and 3 meters long. Moreover, it should not have frayed edges and loose threads. It is better to purchase the one that is specially made for this purpose. You can reuse the cloth many times provided you have sterilized every time and kept it clean.
Vastra Dhauti Steps
- Sit on a stool with low height. Keep a gap of one feet betwween the knees and lower legs.
- Then, place a bowl in between the feet. Fill the bowl with water.
- After that immerse the Dhauti cloth in the water.
- Then, take one end of the cloth and place it on the back side of the tongue.
- By doing so, hold the remaining cloth outside the mouth using thubs and fingers.
- Then, swallow the cloth slowly. Once it enters oesophagus, there will be no issues.
- Continue swallowing and ensure that you are holding the other end of the cloth.
- Now, stand up and perform Nauli Kriya (complete kriya consisting of Dakshina, Vama, and Madhyama). Beginners may perform Agnisar Kriya instead of Nauli Kriya.
- Afterwards, take out cloth slowly and make it fall into the bowl. In any case, don’t keep the cloth inside the stomach for more than fifteen minutes.
- Wash the cloth, sterlize and keep it in a dry place for further use.
Vastra Dhauti Benefits
- The mucus from chest will be removed.
- It relaxes the respiratory muscles and their functions
- The practitioner has to control the sensation of vomiting. Hence, it helps to tune autonomic nervous system.
- According to Ayurveda, the practice removes excess Kabha (mucus) and Pitta.
- It helps in the course of advanced breathing techniques.
Vastra Dhauti is an advanced yogic cleansing practice that involves the practice of Nauli or Agnisar Kriya. Hence, it is absolutely not for beginners. Still, it offers many health benefits. Moreover, some yoga texts claim that the full benefits of pranayama can be achieved only through mastering all yogic cleansing practices. Hence, a practitioner who wants to excel in Classic Yoga should learn this from an expert and practice it.